A six-lane divided roadway, U.S. 74 (Independence Boulevard) is being widened so that each direction has four general purpose lanes and one bus lane.
The bus lanes are being built in the median and will be separated from the general purpose lanes by 2-foot buffers. A single barrier wall will be built in the center of the median to separate the opposing bus lane.
A later project – U.S. 74 Express Lanes: I-277 to Wallace Lane – will convert the bus lane to an express lane for buses and cars.
Work also involves:
- Removing traffic signals on U.S. 74 between Harris Boulevard and Uptown Charlotte
- Building an interchange at Sharon Amity Road, with a bridge carrying Sharon Amity Road over U.S. 74
- Building an interchange at Idlewild Road, with a bridge carrying Idlewild Road over U.S. 74
- Building a bridge over U.S. 74 to extend Conference Drive to the northwest to intersect with Idlewild Road
- Removing the existing "left-over" on U.S. 74 East at Wallace Lane
In addition to roadway improvements, NCDOT is building sidewalks and bicycle lanes on both sides of Independence Boulevard, Sharon Amity Road, Idlewild Road and Conference Drive.
Sharon Amity Road Interchange
In March 2017, the N.C. Department of Transportation opened the Sharon Amity Road interchange, including a new loop ramp providing access to U.S. 74 East.
When the interchange was under construction, a detour directed motorists along Charleston Drive to access Sharon Amity Road. Now that the loop ramp is open for access to and from U.S. 74 East, Charleston Drive is intended only for local traffic. Drivers wanting to access U.S. 74 should use the new interchange.