Motorists traveling through North Carolina can call 511 from any telephone for the latest road conditions and other important information, including:
- Traffic incidents, major closures and road construction on interstates, U.S. and state routes in North Carolina
- Amber Alerts and Silver Alerts
- Transfers to neighboring states' 511 systems
Call 511 or if calling from outside North Carolina, dial (877) 511-4662.
When calling 511 urgent messages, like major Interstate closures or Amber Alerts, will play first.
On weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., weekends from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and state holidays from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., there will an option to hear active Silver Alerts – if any are active – or speak to an operator about the latest travel information.
Overnight and during emergencies, the North Carolina 511 system uses voice-activated and touch-tone technology. The voice-activated system provides information about interstates (like I-40 or I-26) and U.S. routes (like U.S. 64 or U.S. 221), while the touch-tone option must be used to request information about state routes (like N.C. 50 or N.C. 73). Dial 88, or TT, to switch from voice to touch-tone while using 511.
From there, you will be prompted with a menu of options:
- For highways, say "highways," or press 1
- For public transportation, say "public transportation," or press 2
- For Silver Alerts, say "silver alerts" (this option is only available when there is an active Silver Alert)
- For other services, say "other services," or press 4
- To be connected to 511 in other states, say "other states," or press 5
- Say "main menu" or "help" to return to the original options on the main menu.
To receive traffic information on specific roadways, enter the touch-tone code of the desired roadway, then press the star (*) key.
For information on secondary roads, please visit drivenc.gov and select the county of interest.