Open Road Tolling (ORT) uses overhead gantries containing radio frequency readers and video cameras to charge toll road users a toll or fee. This approach eliminates toll booths and provides free flowing traffic at highway speeds and significantly improves the quality of life for travelers and communities.
Customers are encouraged to use the transponder toll program called NC Quick Pass, which involves setting up an account with the NC Turnpike Authority and installing a pocket size device in your car windshield that communicates radio frequency customer id number and automatically deducts tolls from a pre-paid account. For those without a NC Quick Pass, a picture of their license plate will be taken and a bill will be mailed to the owner of the vehicle. Because of the increased cost of collection using the video camera toll program, customers with a transponder may receive a significant savings on the toll rate.
The NC Quick Pass transponder is on sale online or at the address below:
- Online at www.myncquickpass.com
- NC Quick Pass Customer Service Center
200 Sorrell Grove Church Road, Suite A
Morrisville, NC 27560
North Carolina now accepts E-ZPass and SunPass transponders on North Carolina toll roads as a form of payment. The NC Quick Pass hardcase and exterior front bumper transponders will work on toll roads where E-ZPass is accepted. The sticker, hardcase and exterior front bumper transponders will work on toll roads in Florida.
Benefits to Open Road Tolling
- Increases patron convenience and safety with nonstop payment
- Improves traffic flow and reduces congestion
- Reduces patron commute time
- Reduces emissions, which are a major cause of pollution
- Reduces operating costs for toll authorities
Travel on the Triangle Expressway is a "rate per-toll zone" toll collection system rather than rates per-mile. There is not a consistent toll/mile because some movements are higher, some are lower, depending on where the trip originates and ends. This is due to the locations of the ramp and mainline toll zones.
- For Triangle Expressway toll-related questions or the NC Quick Pass customer service center, call 1-877-7MY-PASS (1-877-769-7277) or send a message.
- For general information or project-specific inquiries, call (919) 707-2700, fax to (919) 715-5511, or send a message.
- For media inquiries, call the North Carolina Department of Transportation Communications Office at (919) 707-2660.
North Carolina Turnpike Authority
1578 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1578