Middle and high school students will have the opportunity to learn more about aviation and aviation-related job opportunities at five Aviation Career Education academies that will be held across North Carolina this summer. The ACE camps are sponsored by the N.C. Department of Transportation Division of Aviation.
Students in fourth through twelfth grade can attend ACE camps across North Carolina. Most of the camps focus on separate middle school and high school programs. However, younger students may be interested in the camps held in Charlotte and Winston at the Discovery Place and Air and Auto Center respectively. Each camp has a maximum number of enrolled students that will be able to participate in each camp session. The application deadline is May 15th but encourage parents to contact the camp leader for exceptions.
Students will learn about the theory of flight, aviation’s history, aircraft maintenance and new technologies. Attendees will study real world aviation applications, aviation principles such as thrust and vectoring, and aircraft construction. They also will have the opportunity to fly radio-controlled aircraft and work on aircraft model design projects, as well as take field trips to aviation industry businesses and have the opportunity to fly in an airplane (some locations). New this year will be special presentation on Unmanned Aerial Systems (a.k.a. Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) by the NexGen Air Transportation (NGAT) Center and a briefing on post- secondary aviation education opportunities in North Carolina.
If you are up to the challenge, fill out the ACE Camp Application to be considered for the aviation camp of your choice. If attending the Charlotte or Winston-Salem camp please complete the application via the respective location web site link below. While each camp covers similar themes the activities will be different at each location. Here is a list of the North Carolina ACE Camps:
- Charlotte, NC: Discovery Place Museum. Camps held at the Carolinas Aviation Museum (CLT Airport). Cost varies between $275 -$350
- June 15th – 19th Pilots Academy (ACE Camp) for rising 5th – 7th graders
- June 22nd – 26th Futures in Flight (ACE Camp) for rising 7th – 9th graders
- Web site: Discovery Place Summer Camps Website
- Elizabeth City, NC: Elizabeth City State University (ECSU) Aviation: Contact Dominique Vaughn (email@example.com), phone 252-335-3290. Cost: $150 payable to ECSU Foundation
- June 14-19, 2015 for 9th – 12th graders
- Raleigh, NC: Leesville Road High School. Cost $150. Contact: Mike Kelley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 15th – 19th for High School students
- July 13th – 17th for Middle School students
- Winston-Salem, NC: Carolina Air and Auto Center Summer Program. Tuition is $90 (pending grant approval) and due with the application (available via the web site). Checks are payable to "Winston-Salem Technology Education Group."