RALEIGH – The N.C. Department of Transportation's Division of Aviation announced today the winners of this year's Aviation Art Contest, an annual competition among students across North Carolina.
NCDOT received more than 2,400 entries carrying this year's contest theme “Flying Yesterday and Tomorrow." After weeks of judging and voting, the winners were announced in the following three age groups:
Junior (born 2010-2013):
- 1st: Beckman Case Clawson, of McAdenville, Ida Rankin Elementary
- 2nd: Michelle Selin Park, of Fayetteville, Berean Baptist Academy
- 3rd: Bria Louise Ma, of Fayetteville, E. Melvin Honeycutt Elementary
Intermediate (born 2006-2009):
- 1st: Daniel Kim, of Cary, Carnage Middle
- 2nd: Sofia Sande-Fernandez, of Cary, Alston Ridge Middle
- 3rd: Summerlin Ward, of Tar Heel, Emereau Bladen Charter
Senior (born 2002-2005):
- 1st: Cassidy English, of Lillington, Harnett Central High
- 2nd: Kailyn Becker, of Apex, Apex Friendship High
- 3rd: Hyunmin Ra, of Fayetteville, Berean Baptist Academy
For the first time, certain winners will have their artwork displayed at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh. The winning art can also be viewed on the Division of Aviation's Facebook page. Art from all finalists will be posted on the NCDOT Flickr site.
The winners were selected after two weeks of voting by local art teachers, aviation experts and employees with NCDOT's Division of Aviation. The artwork was judged on creativity, adherence to the theme and technical quality. In addition to cash prizes for the winners and their schools, the top three students in each age division will have their artwork submitted to the National Aviation Art Contest.
This year's near-record 2,420 entries came from 219 schools and 77 counties. A total of 8,236 students have participated in the Aviation Art Contest during the last five years.