CHARLOTTE – The N.C. Department of Transportation this month awarded a $26 million contract to improve a stretch of bridges along Interstate 277 between Tenth Street and I-77 in uptown Charlotte, approximately 1.3 miles.
The contractor, American Civil Constructors West Coast, LLC of California will be working on the following bridges:
- On I-277/U.S. 74 over I-77
- On E. Twelfth Street over Tryon Street
- On I-277/N.C. 16 over the following roads:
- Charlotte Area Transit Light Rail
- N. College Street
- N. Tryon Street
- N. Church Street
- U.S. 29/N.C. 49 (Graham Street),
- N.C. Factory Music Boulevard and
- Johnson Street, including the CSX and Norfolk Southern Railroads.
Work to be performed on each bridge will vary, including deck repairs, substructure work, and painting of existing structures.
Contract crews will perform other work on I-277 between Tenth Street and Johnson Street, including replacing all guardrail and controlled access fencing along the right of way, milling and filling the mainline of the highway with hot mix asphalt, and performing concrete pavement repair on the highway and ramps.
Work can start as early as the end of November, and the project is scheduled to be completed in the fall of 2024.