RALEIGH - The North Carolina Turnpike Authority is continuing construction of the southern portion of the Complete 540 project, which will extend the Triangle Expressway (Toll N.C. 540) from N.C. 55 Bypass to Interstate 40.
On or around July 25, Pierce Olive Road between Bamburgh Lane and Olive Tree Lane is scheduled to close for approximately eight months where Pierce Olive Road will cross the future Toll N.C. 540.
This work is weather dependent. Road closure and detour signs will be installed. Access to properties along Pierce Olive Road will be maintained throughout the scheduled closure from the north or the south.
Drivers are strongly encouraged to plan to avoid the area, if possible. If drivers must be in the area, they are advised to take the detour routes by following signs along the roadway. The detour routes will be as follows:
To Pierce Olive Road North:
- Pierce Olive Road to Optimist Farm Road (Turn right onto Optimist Farm Road)
- Optimist Farm Road to Sunset Lake Road (Turn right onto Sunset Lake Road)
- Sunset Lake Road to Holly Springs Road (Turn right onto Holly Springs Road)
- Holly Springs Road to Pierce Olive Road (Turn right onto Pierce Olive Road)
To Pierce Olive Road South:
- Pierce Olive Road to Holly Springs Road (Turn left onto Holly Springs Road)
- Holly Springs Road to Sunset Lake Road (Turn left onto Sunset Lake Road)
- Sunset Lake Road to Optimist Farm Road (Turn left onto Optimist Farm Road)
- Optimist Farm Road to Pierce Olive Road (Turn left onto Pierce Olive Road)
Drivers should use caution and slow down while traveling through the work zones and detour routes.
Construction updates for the Complete 540 project can be found by visiting ncdot.gov/projects/complete-540/Pages/planned-construction-activities.aspx.
For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on social media.