RALEIGH – Heading to this year’s North Carolina State Fair in Raleigh?
Make sure to stop by “Safety City,” where more than a dozen organizations will join the North Carolina Governor’s Highway Safety Program in educating fairgoers about traveling safely.
The “Safety City” exhibit is devoted to keeping people safe whether they’re driving, toting children, riding a bike or motorcycle, or driving a boat. Safety City is located at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds behind the Kerr Scott Building at 4285 Trinity Road in Raleigh. Enter through Gate 9 for easy access. The exhibit will be open during the N.C. State Fair’s entire run from Oct. 13-23.
Organizations at Safety City
The exhibit is a joint effort between local, county and state agencies, law enforcement and nonprofit organizations. In addition to North Carolina law enforcement agencies that will display vehicles at Safety City, the following organizations will have interactive displays and promotional materials at their respective booths.
The following organizations will be on display at Safety City during the fair:
- BikeSafeNC will have experts on hand to discuss motorcycle safety
- Orange County Sheriff’s Department will showcase their Mothers Against Drunk Driving vehicle and encourage license drivers to experience the Driving While Impaired simulator
- N.C. Division of Public Health’s Forensic Tests for Alcohol will display their Breath Alcohol Testing Unit, commonly referred to as the BAT Mobile
- N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will display a law enforcement boat and an all-terrain vehicle, in addition to handing out the popular Wildlife in N.C. buttons
- N.C. ABC Commission and Talk It Out NC will offer information and items geared at educating attendees about underage drinking
- N.C. Department of Insurance’s Safe Kids NC program will be available to demonstrate proper child passenger safety
Additionally, organizations that will be highlighted on a one-day special basis include:
- NCSHP Reconstruction Team (Oct. 13)
- Street Racing Kills (Oct. 14)
- AAA/Move Over (Oct. 15-16)
- N.C. Wildlife Commission (Oct. 17)
- NCDOT Rail Division (Oct. 18)
- Alcohol Law Enforcement (Oct. 19)
- Forensic Tests For Alcohol - DRE Day (Oct 20)
- NC Trucking Association (Oct. 21) and Choices for Chase (Oct. 22-23)
Mascots at Safety City
Safety City will also feature visits from popular characters and mascots, including:
- Sparky the Fire Dog on Oct. 13
- The Grim Reaper on Oct. 14
- Carolina Mudcats’s Muddy the Mudcat on Oct. 15
- Ramses of UNC on Oct. 16
- Durham Bulls’ Wool-E-Bull Oct. 17
- Carolina Hurricanes’ Stormy on Oct. 20