RALEIGH – The N.C. Department of Transportation has temporarily halted most construction activity along major highways to keep traffic flowing for holiday travel.
Construction along interstates, U.S. and key N.C. routes is suspended through the evening of Nov. 28 to reduce anticipated congestion.
Some projects will continue with work that doesn't impact travel lanes, and other long-term lane closures will remain in place on select projects such as bridge replacements on Interstate 40 in Haywood County.
Here are some tips for safe driving during the holiday season:
- Leave early to get a head start, and travel at non-peak hours if possible.
- Use alternative routes if possible, to avoid traffic congestion.
- Allow extra time for your trip, regardless of the route you choose.
- To avoid driving drowsy, travel at times you are normally awake and take frequent breaks, taking advantage of our state's rest areas.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and other vehicles nearby, and avoid distracted driving.