RALEIGH – The North Carolina Turnpike Authority is continuing construction of the southern portion of the Complete 540 project, which will extend the Triangle Expressway (Toll N.C. 540) from N.C. 55 Bypass to Interstate 40.
Contractors for the project have scheduled temporary overnight road closures on N.C. 55 Bypass between Old Smithfield Road and East Williams Street while contractors perform bridge work. The temporary road closures on N.C. 55 Bypass are weather dependent.
On or around the nights of January 23-25, crews plan to close the northbound lane on January 23, close both lanes on January 24 and close the southbound lane of the N.C. 55 Bypass on January 25. The lanes will be closed each night from 10:30 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. the next morning. Access to Toll N.C. 540 will be maintained throughout the closures.
The northbound detour will be as follows:
- N.C. 55 Bypass North to Old Smithfield Road (Turn right on Old Smithfield Road)
- Old Smithfield Road to East Williams Street (Turn left on East Williams Street)
- East Williams Street to N.C. 55 North (Turn right on N.C. 55 to continue northbound on N.C. 55 or turn left to access northbound N.C. 540)
The southbound detour will be as follows:
- N.C. 55 South to East Williams Street (Turn left on East Williams Street)
- East Williams Street to Sportsmanship Way (Turn right on Sportsmanship Way)
- Sportsmanship Way to N.C. 55 Bypass North (Turn right on N.C. 55 and continue northbound to access northbound N.C. 540)
- N.C. 55 Bypass North to N.C. 55 Bypass South (Make a U-Turn on N.C. 55 Bypass just north of Sportsmanship Way to continue southbound on N.C. 55)
Signage will be in place alerting motorists to the upcoming closures and detour routes. Motorists should slow down, pay extra attention as they travel through the work zone and allow extra time to navigate the detour route.
For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on social media.