RALEIGH – The North Carolina Turnpike Authority is continuing construction of the southern portion of the Complete 540 project, which will extend the Triangle Expressway (Toll N.C. 540) from N.C. 55 Bypass to Interstate 40.
East Williams Street between N.C. 55 and Old Smithfield Road is scheduled to temporarily close to through traffic overnight for four nights. Starting on or around July 10, East Williams Street will close each night at 9:00 p.m. and reopen in the morning at 5:00 a.m. until on or around July 14. These overnight closures will allow project contractors to set girders for the future Toll N.C. 540 bridges crossing over East Williams Street and install pipes under East Williams Street.
This work is weather dependent. Road closure and detour signs will be installed. Access to properties along East Williams Street will be maintained throughout the scheduled overnight closures from the south or the north.
Drivers are strongly encouraged to avoid the area, if possible. If drivers must be in the area, they are advised to take the detour routes by following signs along the roadway. The detour routes will be as follows:
To East Williams Street North of Toll N.C. 540:
- South on East Williams Street to Old Smithfield Road (Turn right onto Old Smithfield Road)
- West on Old Smithfield Road to N.C. 55 (Turn right onto N.C. 55)
- North on N.C. 55 to East Williams Street (Turn right onto East Williams Street)
To East Williams Street South of Toll N.C. 540:
- North on East Williams Street to N.C. 55 (Turn left onto N.C. 55)
- South on N.C. 55 to Old Smithfield Road (Make a U-turn on N.C. 55 and turn right onto Old Smithfield Road)
- East on Old Smithfield Road to East Williams Street (Turn left onto East Williams Street)
Drivers should use caution and slow down while traveling through the work zones and detour routes.
Construction updates for the Complete 540 project can be found by visiting ncdot.gov/projects/complete-540/Pages/planned-construction-activities.aspx.