RALEIGH – Few things are scarier than the consequences of driving while impaired. From now until Oct. 31, statewide law enforcement will be increasing saturation patrols and using checkpoints to keep impaired drivers off the road, as part of the annual “Booze It & Lose It” campaign.
“Many families will be hitting the streets this Halloween season to enjoy festivities, and we want everyone to have a good time,” said Mark Ezzell, director of the N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program. “But Halloween can be a dangerous time, due to the increased number of impaired drivers on the road. If you choose to drink, please call a cab, use a ride sharing service or find another safe ride home.”
Officials urge everyone to use designated drivers, ride-sharing services or public transportation as safe alternatives.
The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles reports that 448 people died in alcohol-related crashes in North Carolina last year. Preliminary reports show that 353 have died in alcohol-related crashes so far this year.
While North Carolina drivers 21 and older can be convicted of DWI if they have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or higher, it is illegal for all drivers under the age of 21 to drive with any amount of alcohol in their system.
“With large numbers of people out and about, and days getting shorter, it is more imperative than ever to make the right decision when choosing to get behind the wheel,” said Ezzell. “No one is immune to the effects of impaired driving.”