A series of closures are scheduled to begin this weekend for the Interstate 440 and Blue Ridge Road improvements project
– some of which will last for two weeks.
Weather permitting, the following closures will be in place Sunday evening through 5 a.m. Monday as part of an upcoming traffic shift on I-440:
Starting at 9 p.m., the ramp from Western Boulevard to I-440 West and the ramp from I-440 West to Melbourne Road (Exit 1D) are set to close with signed detours.
- Starting about 11 p.m., I-440 West is set to close from Western Boulevard to Walnut Street. Traffic will be detoured to Jones Franklin Road to access Interstate 40, U.S. 1 South and U.S. 64 West.
- When I-440 West reopens Monday morning, it will be in a new alignment with new ramps from Western Boulevard to the Crossroads shopping center area.
A pair of two-week closures are also expected to begin overnight Sunday, weather permitting:
- The ramp from I-440 West to Hillsborough Street (Exit 3) will close with a detour sending drivers to Western Boulevard and back on I-440 East to access Hillsborough Street. Traffic headed from Wade Avenue onto I-440 West will shift to a new ramp and regain access to Hillsborough Street about Nov. 15. Drivers on I-440 West ahead of Wade Avenue will regain access to Hillsborough Street by way of a temporary exit once the two-week closure ends.
- Hillsborough Street is set to close again in front of the fairgrounds so crews can conduct water line work in preparation for an upcoming rail line shift. The detour for this two-week closure will follow Blue Ridge Road, Wade Avenue and Edwards Mill Road.
Drivers should pay close attention to the detour signs, be cautious while travelling through the work zone, and allow extra time for the detours.
**VOTE FOR NC!** NCDOT’s advance flood warning system is a finalist in the 2023 America's Transportation Awards competition. Vote here and help NCDOT win $10,000 to be donated to the N.C. region of the American Red Cross for disaster relief.