The N.C. REAL ID will make it more convenient to board a commercial airplane if you don't have a passport or visit a military base or other federal facility, but it isn't required and won't be needed until October 2020.
If you’re headed to a N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office to get yours, here is a list of things to expect during your first visit:
- If you did not schedule an appointment, be prepared to wait a bit longer as there are more people visiting the office for their first REAL ID, too.
- Your identity and residency documents will be reviewed at check-in.
- You will take a vision test.
- You will take a new photo.
- You will receive a temporary identification certificate or a temporary driving certificate to use until you receive the actual card in the mail.
- Your temporary ID or license will not have a star, but the actual card will include the star when mailed to you.