To apply for an N.C. REAL ID driver license or identification card, you must visit
an N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office with the documents outlined below.
One document (with full name) proving identity and date of birth
One document (with full name and full Social Security number) confirming Social Security number
Two documents (with current physical address) proving North Carolina residency
For individuals not born in the U.S.,
one document (with full name) proving legal presence/lawful status
one or more documents verifying any name change
Identity & Date of Birth
One document (with full name) from the list below.
Note: An individual's name must match one of the documents below otherwise they must provide a proof of name change, such as a certified marriage license or certificate, divorce decree or document from the courts or Register of Deeds.
|Document Type||Acceptable Documents||Notes|
- Must be issued by a government agency in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada
- Photocopies not allowed unless certified by the issuing agency
|U.S. passport||Valid, unexpired passport from the United States|||
|Valid, unexpired foreign passport||Valid, unexpired passport from any nation||Must be accompanied by an affixed valid, unexpired U.S. visa and I-94 Arrival/Departure Record|
|REAL ID||A valid, unexpired REAL ID driver license or identification card issued from a REAL ID compliant state|||
Social Security Number
One document (with full name and full Social Security number) from the list below.
- Social Security card (photocopies not allowed)
- 1099 tax form with name and FULL Social Security number
- W-2 form with name and FULL Social Security number
- Payroll record with name and FULL Social Security number
North Carolina Residency
Two documents (with current address) from the list below. Additional documents are recognized for minors.
- Any document issued by the state of North Carolina or a county or city in North Carolina or the federal government
- North Carolina Vehicle Registration Card, insurance policy or title
- North Carolina Voter Precinct Card
- Military orders or military documents
- Utility bill or cable bill
- Housing lease or contract, mortgage statement, property or income tax statement
- Preprinted financial statement
- School records
- Letter from homeless shelter
Legal Presence/Lawful Status (for Non-U.S. Citizens)
Requirement: For non-U.S. citizens,
one document (with full name) from the list below.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, Form DS-1350 or Form FS-545)
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766 or I-688B)
- Valid, unexpired
foreign passport (must be accompanied by an affixed valid, unexpired
U.S. visa and I-94 Arrival/Departure Record)
- Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
- Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
One or more documents from the list below if the name is different from the name on the birth certificate, passport, another REAL ID or other U.S. government documents
Note: Multiple name changes require multiple documents to trace each name.
- Certified marriage license/certificate
- Divorce decree
- Document from the courts or Register of Deeds
- Original or
certified international marriage licenses (with a raised seal or ink
stamp with initials of individual certifying the document) accompanied
by a Name Change Affidavit