Close Menu

State IDs

DMV Office

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles offers identification cards for customers who require a photo ID but do not require a driver license. Under North Carolina law, holders of these non-operator IDs are not permitted to operate a motor vehicle.

When applying for an ID card for the first time, an individual must visit an NCDMV driver license office with the following documents:


Renewing a State ID

Individuals can renew their state ID card up to six months before it expires at any NCDMV driver license office. Online renewal is not available for ID cards.

No-Fee ID Cards

The cost for a standard non-operator ID card is $13, but IDs are available at no cost for qualified customers.

Card Type Qualifying Recipients Additional Requirements
No-fee ID

North Carolina residents who are either:

  • Legally blind
  • At least 17 years old
  • Homeless
  • Had a license that was canceled because of a disability or disease
  • Individuals who are legally blind must present a letter from a physician or the director of the N.C. Division of Services for the Blind.
  • Individuals who are homeless must present a letter from the director of a facility that provides care or shelter to the homeless that verifies that the person is homeless.
No-fee ID for citizens with developmental disabilitiesNorth Carolina residents diagnosed with a developmental disability
  • Individuals – or their legal guardian – must complete an Application for Identification Card.
  • Applicants must have their primary care providers complete the form's Physician Section or sign a letter certifying that the applicant has a developmental disability.

Homebound Customer Requests

Residents who want to obtain an ID card but are unable to appear at an NCDMV driver license office because of a severe disability may request homebound assistance by:

  • Completing the Homebound Customer Request form.
  • Calling Issuance Resolution at (919) 861-3030
  • Requesting by mail from the Issuance Resolution Unit, 3176 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27697-3176

To be eligible for homebound assistance, the resident must present a letter from a physician certifying that the resident is homebound and must, as described above, provide proof of age and identity, a valid Social Security number and proof of citizenship and residency. 

3/27/2020 10:08 AM

Back to top