Construction of the Northern Loop was completed and opened to traffic on Jan. 23, 2023. The Northern Loop is a six-lane freeway from U.S. 29 north of Greensboro to Lawndale Drive in northern Greensboro. As part of this project, the N.C. Department of Transportation completed the U.S. 29 interchange and the Lawndale Drive interchange. NCDOT also constructed two new interchanges that connect the Greensboro Loop to Yanceyville Street and North Elm Street.
News and Updates
Construction began in April 2018. The span from Lawndale Drive to North Elm Street opened in December 2020 — a year ahead of schedule — and the remaining section from North Elm Street to U.S. 29 was completed and opened to traffic on Jan. 23, 2023.
- Built a six-lane freeway from U.S. 29 north of Greensboro to Lawndale Drive.
- Completed the Greensboro Loop/U.S. 29 interchange.
- Completed the Greensboro Loop/Lawndale Drive interchange.
- Built bridges on the Greensboro Loop over Lees Chapel Road and Norfolk Southern Railroad.
- Built bridges on Summit Avenue, North Church Street and Lake Jeanette Road over the Greensboro Loop.
- Built an interchange at the intersection of the Greensboro Loop and Yanceyville Road.
- Built an interchange at the intersection of the Greensboro Loop and North Elm Street.
- Built a cul-de-sac at the end of Watlington Road.
- Connected Pindals Road to Candlenut Road and eliminated the intersection of Pindals Road and Summit Avenue.