For funding purposes, the proposed widening of I-95 is divided into two sections:
- I-95 from I-95 Business/U.S. 301 to Long Branch Road (Exit 71) in Harnett County (STIP I-5896A)
- I-95 from Long Branch Road to I-40 (Exit 81) in Johnston County (STIP I-5896B)
The work would include several other projects in the area at the same time:
- Improvements to I-95 interchanges with Bud Hawkins Road (Exit 70) and Long Branch Road (Exit 71) in Harnett County (STIP I-5877)
- Improvements to I-95 interchanges with Pope Road/Spring Branch Road (Exit 72) and U.S. 421 (East Cumberland Street) (Exit 73) in Harnett County (STIP I-5878)
- Improvements to I-95 interchanges with Jonesboro Road (Exit 75) and Hodges Chapel Road (Exit 77) (STIP I-5883)
Viewed together, the projects would result in the following improvements:
- I-95 would be widened to eight lanes between exit 56 and exit 81.
Interchanges along the project would be upgraded to meet current standards.
- Overpass bridges between Baywood Road in Cumberland County and N.C. 50 (Exit 79) would be replaced.
- Bridges on I-95 at Black River in Cumberland County and U.S. 421 in Harnett County would be replaced.
- Service roads would be realigned to allow for I-95 widening and to meet current standards.
- Roundabouts would be added at some interchanges to minimize impacts to nearby properties.
- A new overpass bridge would be built at South Market Street and Cub Road in Benson.
- Bicycle and/or pedestrian accommodations would be added to some overpass bridges.