skip to main
Close Menu

Next Steps

​​​​​​​​​​​Once corridors are selected for funding, development begins in three phases.

Step 1 – Corridor Development Initiation, Scope, Schedule & Cost Estimate for Preparing Service Development Plan

Corridor Identification and Development Program grant recipients are eligible for up to $500,000 for each selected corridor. These funds would be used to prepare a scope, schedule and cost estimate associated with a new Service Development Plan or updating an existing plan.

Step 2 – Preparation of a Service Development Plan

Grant recipients are eligible for up to 90 percent of federal funding with the remaining 10 percent to be supplied from state and/or local funds. This will help recipients complete their detailed Service Development Plan. 

Step 3 – Project Development 

After the corridor’s Service Development Plan is completed, the project moves from planning to preliminary engineering and environmental approval. Preliminary engineering includes design, planning and environmental studies.

At this phase, the corridor is eligible for up to 80 percent federal funding for engineering and environmental studies, with the remaining 20 percent to be supplied from state and/or local funds.

Once these three phases are completed for a corridor, it will be ready for funding consideration for implementation through the Federal Railroad Administration’s grant programs. 

If a corridor is not selected, NCDOT can reapply during the next submission cycle.

4/26/2024 9:28 AM