Proposed work would involve widening Fire Tower Road between Charles Boulevard and Portertown Road and widening Portertown Road between Fire Tower Road and 10th Street from two to four lanes and installing a raised median.
Other improvements would include:
- Bicycle and pedestrian lanes.
- Widening the existing roundabout at Fire Tower and Portertown roads from one circulating lane to two circulating lanes.
- Building a roundabout with two circulating lanes at the intersection of Portertown and Eastern Pines roads.
- Upgrading the Carolina Coastal Railroad crossing on Portertown Road with new gates and signals.
- Reconfiguring the existing bridge over Hardee Creek for eastbound traffic and adding a second bridge for westbound traffic.