Several transportation plans contain recommendations to improve a 35-mile portion of N.C. 73 and recognize the corridor as a major thoroughfare. Those plans include:
- N.C. 73 Transportation/Land Use Corridor Plan (2004)
- Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization Thoroughfare Plan (2012)
- Cabarrus-Rowan Metropolitan Planning Organization Comprehensive Transportation Plan (2016)
- The Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization Comprehensive Transportation Plan (2017)
Other plans call for upgrading N.C. 73 to a four-lane divided roadway with intersection improvements as well as bicycle and pedestrian accommodations, including:
- Davidson-Concord Road/N.C. 73 Area Plan (2008)
- N.C. 73: Davidson-Concord Road to Poplar Tent Road Small Area Land Use and Economic Development Plan (2005)
- City of Concord’s Land Use Plan (2007)
- N.C. 73/Poplar Tent Church Road Small Area Plan (2012)
Agency, Local Government and Stakeholder Coordination
The N.C. Department of Transportation met with local, state, and federal agencies in August 2017, November 2017, July 2018, September 2018 and October 2018 to seek agreement on the purpose and need of each project, as well as the concepts to study in detail for N.C. 73 widening from Davidson-Concord Road in Mecklenburg County to U.S. 29 (Concord Parkway North) in Cabarrus County. Meetings with local, state, and federal agencies were held in April 2019 and May 2019 to discuss project alternatives and to select the preferred alternative. Additional meetings were held between October 2019 and November 2019 to discuss the updated preferred alternative design.
NCDOT representatives participated in N.C. 73 Council of Planning meetings on Sept. 21, 2017, Feb. 15, 2018, Oct. 24, 2018, and Jan. 15, 2019. In addition, meetings to obtain input from planning and engineering officials from the local municipalities along the project corridors were held in March 2018, October 2018, and December 2018. Coordination with local government agencies is ongoing.
Representatives from NCDOT met with the Water and Sewer Authority of Cabarrus County on March 5, 2018, to discuss the proposed widening of N.C. 73 and any initial issues or concerns in the vicinity of Howell Reservoir. Additional stakeholder meetings are anticipated.