–The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles has scheduled another in a series of REAL ID Express Days for this Saturday in the Triad to give people an opportunity to get their N.C. REAL IDs
The REAL ID Express Day will be from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at the Kernersville driver license office at 810-A North Main Street. NCDMV will host REAL ID Express Days across the state throughout the year.
Starting in October, people will be required to have a REAL ID or valid U.S. passport for flying, entering many federal facilities and visiting military installations. Some military bases already require REAL ID. Without a REAL ID, residents will need to provide additional federally accepted documentation to fly or access federal facilities.
People who visit the Kernersville office on Saturday will be able to convert their current driver license or ID card to a REAL ID credential. Anyone with an expiration date before Aug. 31 is eligible to renew a license or ID card now. Duplicates and first-time ID cards will also be available.
However, people will not be able to get an original issuance, take a knowledge test, driving skills test or conduct a legal presence or lawful status transaction during the REAL ID Express Day in Kernersville. People seeking those services can visit the South Winston-Salem office at 2001 Silas Creek Parkway or the West Greensboro office at 2391 Coliseum Boulevard from 8 a.m. until noon. Those services are offered at both offices each Saturday.
What you need
To obtain a REAL ID, residents will need to bring the following original documents (no photocopies) to the driver license office:
- One (1) proof of identity/date of birth: certified birth certificate (issued by state, local or city officials) or unexpired U.S. passport
- One (1) proof of full Social Security Number: Social Security card, W-2 or 1099 tax form
- Two (2) proofs of current physical address: driver license, vehicle registration card, voter registration card, utility bill, cable bill, bank statement, leasing contract or mortgage statement
If applicable, proof of name change, including the following: certified marriage license, divorce decree and/or court document indicating the name change (number of documents depend on number of name changes).
Additional documents people can use to obtain a REAL ID are available at NCREALID.gov
NCDMV officials encourage residents to double-check their documents before arriving at the driver license office. Photocopies of certified birth certificates, Social Security cards and marriage licenses or divorce decrees will not be accepted. NCDMV only accepts certified birth certificates and marriage licenses issued by a county register of deeds or state vital records office.
More REAL ID Express Days
NCDMV plans additional REAL ID Express Days during March, including:
- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. March 14 at the West Charlotte Driver License Office, 6016 Brookshire Blvd.
- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. March 21 at the Greenville Driver License Office, 703 S.E. Greenville Blvd., Unit 124.
- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. March 28 at the East Charlotte Driver License Office, 6635 Executive Cr., Suite 130.
NCDMV will provide public notice prior to REAL ID Express Days in other North Carolina areas.
REAL ID Express Days in 2019 drew more than 3,200 customers to offices in Fayetteville, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Kernersville, Wilmington and Hendersonville.
More than 1.7 million North Carolinians have obtained a REAL ID since the identification document was first made available in May 2017.