What is a Recreational Operator?
Anyone who uses UAS/drone technology solely for the purpose of recreation.
Guidelines for Recreational Users
Recreational UAS/drone operators are not required to obtain a license or permit from the Division of Aviation. However, recreational users are subject to NC UAS rules and regulations. The FAA, however, has set guidelines for safe and responsible operation:
- Always fly below an altitude of 400 feet, and fly within your direct line of sight.
- Be aware of FAA airspace requirements
- Do not fly near stadiums, prisons, public events or directly over people.
- Do not fly near aircraft, especially near airports.
- Do not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires or hurricane recovery efforts.
- Do not fly for compensation.
- Do not fly at night.
- Do not fly a UAS/drone that weighs more than 55 pounds.
- Register your drone at the FAADroneZone.
Additional Operator Types