Close Menu

Strategic Mobility Formula

The Strategic Mobility Formula allows the N.C. Department of Transportation to more efficiently invest its transportation dollars by using a data-driven scoring process along with local input.

For example, the 2016-2025 State Transportation Improvement Plan – the first developed with the Strategic Mobility Formula – consisted of 1,073 projects in all 100 counties and across all modes of transportation and supported about 300,000 jobs.

That's 300 more projects (a 273 percent increase) and 126,000 more jobs (a 172 percent increase) than what the old funding formula, which distributed money equally across the state, would have allowed.

As outlined in the following table, the Strategic Mobility Formula funds projects in three categories: Division Needs, Regional Impact and Statewide Mobility.

Funding Category
​Revenue Distribution
​Description
Division Needs
​30%​Projects in this category will receive 30 percent of the available revenue, shared equally over NCDOT's 14 transportation divisions, which are groupings of local counties. Project scores are based 50 percent on data and 50 percent on rankings by local planning organizations and the NCDOT transportation divisions.

Highway projects in this category are analyzed according to five criteria:
  • Congestion (15 percent)
  • Benefit/cost (15 percent)
  • Safety (10 percent)
  • Freight and military (5 percent)
  • Accessibility/Connectivity (5 percent)
​Regional Impact
​30%​Projects in this category receive 30 percent of available revenue. Projects on this level compete within regions made up of two NCDOT transportation divisions, with funding divided among the regions based on population. Data makes up 70 percent of the project scores in this category. Local rankings account for the remaining 30 percent.

Regional Impact projects are analyzed according to five criteria:
  • Congestion (20 percent)
  • Benefit/cost (20 percent)
  • Safety (10 percent)
  • Accessibility/connectivity (10 percent)
  • Freight and military (10 percent)
​Statewide Mobility
​40%​Projects in this category receive 40 percent of available revenue. The project selection process is based 100 percent on data.

Statewide Mobility projects are analyzed according to six criteria:
  • Congestion (30 percent)
  • Benefit/cost (25 percent)
  • Economic competitiveness (10 percent)
  • Safety (15 percent)
  • Multimodal and military (5 percent)
  • Freight and military (15 percent)

Statewide Mobility projects are also analyzed separately in the Regional Impact and Division Needs categories and can be funded under those categories if they are not funded in the Statewide Mobility category. Regional Impact projects can also cascade down to the Division Needs category.

A project's benefit/cost can improve when it is funded during the project submission phase through local entity contributions or tolling approved by the local planning organization. In addition, any area contributing to the project – and thereby reducing the cost to NCDOT – can receive back up to 50 percent of the funding for a subsequent project scored through STI.

Alternate Criteria

To provide more flexibility, the Strategic Mobility Formula allows regions and divisions to develop alternate criteria tailored to their individual needs. To do so, the metropolitan planning organizations and rural planning organizations and the NCDOT divisions within the region must unanimously agree on the criteria.

1/10/2019 11:08 AM

Back to top