Even though workers might not be present in work zones, motorists should still expect narrowed or closed lanes or shoulders, traffic shifts and reduced speed limits as well as other conditions that might affect normal travel. Below are some safety tips to remember when traveling through a work zone.
- Pay attention.
- Be alert for work zone signs and flaggers.
- Watch out for road debris.
- Don't tailgate.
- Be patient and obey posted speed limits, which may be reduced.
- The penalty for speeding through a signed work zone is an additional $250.
- Don't change lanes.
- Eliminate distractions.
- Expect the unexpected: Keep an eye out for workers and their equipment.
- When possible, use alternate routes or travel at non-peak times to avoid traffic congestion.