- Improve regional mobility
- Assist economic development in primarily rural areas of eastern North Carolina
- Provide a closer interstate connection to the Port of Morehead City
- Benefit military interconnectivity
- Make the corridor safer by reducing intersections
U.S. 70 provides an important connection between the port at Morehead City, military bases in Havelock and Goldsboro and the Global TransPark in Kinston. NCDOT has identified the corridor as one of three in which improvements would assist economic development in the primarily rural areas of eastern North Carolina.
In addition, the 2015 Fixing America's Surface Transportation Act
designated U.S. 70 from I-40 in Garner to the port at Morehead City as a high-priority corridor and future interstate (later signed as "Interstate 42"). The interstate designation will benefit military interconnectivity, aid in economic development, create jobs and stimulate growth in travel and tourism.
This project is listed as Project R-5777C in the
N.C. Department of Transportation's State Transportation Improvement Program and is funded for $268.2 million. NCDOT is considering this Preferred Alternative. Cost estimates are shown below.
Estimated Cost by Alternative*
*Estimated costs subject to change