This project is delayed as efforts to fight COVID-19 have greatly impacted the N.C. Department of Transportation's budget.
Planning and development are underway to upgrade U.S. 70 to interstate standards from east of Thurman Road to the proposed Havelock Bypass in Craven County.
This project is one of several projects that NCDOT is working on to improve the U.S. 70 Corridor, with the intent to:
- Improve regional mobility;
- Assist economic development in primarily rural areas of eastern North Carolina;
- Provide a closer interstate connection to the Port of Morehead City;
- Benefit military interconnectivity; and
- Make the corridor safer by reducing intersections.
This project is listed as Project R-5777C in the N.C. Department of Transportation's State Transportation Improvement Program and is funded for $198.1 million.
*Estimated costs subject to change