The proposed improvements from the Havelock Bypass to east of Thurman Road would upgrade approximately seven miles of U.S. 70 to freeway standards.
Interchanges would be built at three locations:
- Stately Pine Road
- West Fisher Road/East Fisher Avenue
- West Camp Kiro Road/East Camp Kiro Road
Driveways, intersecting streets and median crossovers would be removed, and service roads extended along portions of U.S. 70 to provide access for property owners and local traffic.
The N.C. Department of Transportation has selected a preferred alternative design
. Based on consideration of impacts and comments
received from the public and local officials, the preferred alternative is a combination of the following:
- Stately Pines Road — Alternative B (U.S. 70 under Stately Pines Road
- West Fisher Road/East Fisher Avenue — Alternative A (U.S. 70 over West Fisher Road/East Fisher Avenue
- West Camp Kiro Road/East Camp Kiro Road — Alternative A (U.S. 70 over West Camp Kiro Road/East Camp Kiro Road
Potential Impacts to Human and Natural Resources by Alternative
|Potential New Right-of-Way (acres)||92.9|
|Potential Controlled Access (acres)||64.6|
|Temporary Construction Easement (acres)||0.8|
|Non-Profit/Place of Worship Relocations||1|
|Streams (linear feet)||1,579|
NCDOT considered two design alternatives. Alternative A would construct interchanges with U.S. 70 passing over cross streets, while Alternative B would construct interchanges with U.S. 70 passing under cross streets.
Parallel service roads will be improved and extended to provide access to cross streets and the surrounding community.