During peak travel times in the summer, travelers might experience waits of up to three hours to board ferries running between Hatteras and Ocracoke islands. Be an early bird to avoid the lines on the route's heaviest traveled days – Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays.
- Arrive by 9 a.m. Lines for the ferry usually begin forming by 10 a.m. and are typically longest around 1 p.m.
- Lines usually dissipate by 4 p.m.
- Typically, there is no wait for the ferry until 2 p.m.
- Lines generally begin to form around 4 p.m. with peak travel from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Lines usually dissipate after 9 p.m.