During peak travel times in the summer, travelers might experience waits up to three hours to board car ferries running between Hatteras and Ocracoke islands.
Be an early bird and leave early to avoid the lines on the route's heaviest traveled days – Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays
- Arrive by 9 a.m. Lines for the ferry usually begin forming by 10 a.m. and are typically longest around 1 p.m.
- Lines have usually dissipated by 4 p.m.
- Typically, there is no wait for the ferry until 2 p.m.
- Lines generally begin to form around 4 p.m. with peak travel from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Lines have usually dissipated after 9 p.m.