Close Menu

Name Changes

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Driver Licenses & IDs

An individual whose name changes from the name stated on a driver license or ID must notify the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles within 60 days after the change occurs and obtain a duplicate card with the new name.

NCDMV will confirm the name change with the Social Security Online Verification System, so an individual changing their name must visit their local Social Security Administration Office at least 24-36 hours before changing their name with NCDMV.

If you have completed a legal name change with the Clerk of Court, you must bring the following documentation to an NCDMV driver license office:

  • Documented proof from the courts establishing that the name change was officially accomplished such as a certified marriage license or certificate, divorce decree or document from the courts or Register of Deeds.​
  • Execution of a notarized DL-101 (obtained from an DMV office)
All documentation must be provided by the appropriate government agency of the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.

Vehicle Regi​​stration

To change the name on a vehicle registration and title, complete a Corrected or Substitute Title Application (MVR-5). Please note the reverse side of the form regarding additional information.
​​​Then, submit the form along with the fee to a local license plate agency or mail to:

N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
Renewal, Title & Plate Unit
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh NC 27697

If available, please submit the title to the vehicle as well.  

If the title is being held by a lien holder, NCDMV will contact the lien holder for the original title so that it can be canceled, and a new title and registration will be issued.

Address Changes

An individual with a North Carolina driver license who moves within North Carolina must notify NCDMV online within 60 days of the address change and obtain a duplicate license and duplicate vehicle registration card.

Individuals moving to North Carolina or moving outside North Carolina can find out more information here​.

Individuals who have not moved but need to change just the mailing address on their valid North Carolina driver license or ID should call the NCDMV Customer Contact Center at (919) 715-7000. or send a message to NCDMV​.​

5/11/2023 11:53 AM

Back to top