Close Menu

Moving Outside N.C.

Once an individual establishes a permanent residence outside North Carolina and takes the proper steps to become a licensed driver there, they must surrender their North Carolina license plate and driver license to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

Canceling Liability Insurance

North Carolina law requires liability insurance from a North Carolina-licensed provider on a vehicle the entire time it is registered with the state and the vehicle's owner has possession of the North Carolina license plate.

Canceling liability insurance before returning the license plate incurs a civil penalty for failure to maintain continuous insurance coverage.

Surrendering a License Plate

North Carolina license plates can be returned at any NCDMV license plate agency or by mailing them to:

NCDMV Vehicle Registration Section
Renewal Title & Plate Unit
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3148

Receipts are provided upon request.

Learn More

10/22/2018 2:11 PM

Back to top