Close Menu

Title Transfers

An individual buying, selling, gifting or donating a vehicle must transfer ownership of it via a title transfer.

To transfer a vehicle’s title, go to an N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles license plate agency or mail in the information outlined in the following steps:

For a title transfer, the information on the back of the original title must be completed by both the original owner and the recipient and be notarized. This information includes the:
  • Buyer and recipient's name and address
  • Date of sale or date of delivery
  • Seller's signature and hand-printed name
  • Odometer reading (if required)
  • Damage disclosure statement

Transferring to Family

If transferring a vehicle between spouses, a parent and child or a stepparent and stepchild, the recipient is exempt from the highway-use tax upon completion of the Highway-Use Tax Exemption Certificate (MVR-613).

The exemption is applicable to North Carolina residents transferring a North Carolina title to another North Carolina resident.

7/20/2019 3:57 PM

Back to top