Close Menu

Moped Requirements

​​​​North Carolina law requires all mopeds that are operated on a state-maintained road to be registered with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles. Unlike other vehicles, however, they do not have to be titled.

State law also requires mopeds be covered under liability insurance coverage with limits no less than $30,000/$60,000/$25,000. Failure to maintain liability insurance coverage constitutes a lapse and may result in the revocation of the North Carolina license plate.

North Carolina statute defines a moped has having “two or three wheels, no external shifter, with a motor not to exceed 50 cubic centimeters of piston displacement and up to 30 mph propulsion on a level surface."


Registration Requirements

To register a moped, the following documents are required:

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All
Collapse All
  • Does my moped need an annual inspection?
    ​No. Mopeds do not require an annual inspection.
  • Do I have to pay vehicle property tax?
    ​No. Property tax is not collected on mopeds.
  • Can I transfer a plate from one moped to another?
    ​Yes, if both mopeds are registered in your name.
  • Can I get a personalized plate for my moped?
    ​Yes. Personalized plates are available for mopeds.
  • Can I get a specialty plate for my moped?
    ​No. Specialty plates are not available for mopeds.
  • Can I get a disability plate for my moped?
    ​Yes. Disability plates and placards are available for mopeds.
  • My moped does not have a vehicle identification number. How do I obtain one?
    ​Contact a License & Theft Bureau office to apply for a new vehicle identification number for your moped.

9/15/2020 11:27 AM

Back to top