Close Menu

Special Cases

​Titling requirements for vehicles that are bonded, leased, salvaged, abandoned or in a trust differ from requirements for titling most other vehicles.

Bonded Vehicles

An individual who does not have proof that they own a vehicle can title it using an indemnity bond – a security bond written by an insurance company – or a cash bond.

Leased Vehicles

In cases in which a vehicle is being leased in North Carolina, the vehicle's owner and operator share the responsibilities of titling and registering the vehicle.

Salvaged & Abandoned Vehicles

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles must be notified when transferring titles for salvaged vehicles, and other requirements might apply.

Vehicles in a Trust

Required documentation varies for registering a vehicle and transferring registration to a trust.

8/10/2018 3:36 PM

Back to top