Close Menu

Salvaged & Abandoned Vehicles

​​​​Salvaged Motor Vehicles

A salvaged vehicle is any motor vehicle damaged in a collision or other occurrence to the extent that the repairs (including parts and labor) to make the vehicle safe for use on public roadways would exceed 75 percent of its fair market value.

When an insurance company or authorized agent has paid a claim on a salvaged vehicle, the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles must be notified within 10 days if the damage occurred in North Carolina and the transfer of title occurred in North Carolina.

If the salvaged or damaged vehicle is six model years old or newer, the title applicant must obtain an anti-theft inspection by NCDMV's License & Theft Bureau.

NCDMV advises consumers to be careful when purchasing a salvaged vehicle and to have it thoroughly inspected by the License & Theft Bureau before buying it.

Abandoned Vehicles

There are several options available to an individual when a vehicle has been abandoned on their property.

  • Local law enforcement may be contacted to identify if the vehicle is reported stolen.​​​
  • After seven days, the property owner may contact a tow company to remove the vehicle.
  • If the vehicle remains on the property unclaimed for 30 days, it is considered abandoned and the property owner may begin the process to sell the vehicle.
For additional information about abandoned motor vehicles, call the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles' License & Theft Bureau at (919) 615-6035.

Other Vehicle Classifications

​Vehicle Classification​Description

Reconstructed vehicle
​A motor vehicle required to be registered that has been materially altered from original construction due to the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts (including glider kits and custom assembled vehicles)
​Flood vehicle​A motor vehicle that has been submerged or partially submerged in water to the extent that damage to the body, engine, transmission or differential has occurred.

Salvage rebuilt vehicle
​A salvage vehicle that has been rebuilt for title and registration.

Junk vehicle

A motor vehicle which is incapable or operation or use upon the highways and has no resale value except as a source of parts or scrap. The vehicle shall not be titled or registered.

For more information regarding salvage or gray market vehicles, call (919) 615-8511.

11/16/2022 4:40 PM

Back to top