Close Menu

Bonded Vehicles

​An individual who does not have proof that they own their vehicle can title their vehicle using an indemnity bond – a security bond written by an insurance company – or a cash bond.

To obtain a vehicle title using a bond, the title applicant must:

  • Submit required documents
  • Have the vehicle inspected by the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Have the vehicle appraised
  • Acquire an indemnity bond
  • Have the vehicle undergo an emissions inspection
  • Pay relevant taxes and fees

Required Documents

To obtain a vehicle title using a bond, the following documents listed in the table below must be submitted and requirements met. Identification is required for all services processed in person.

​Odometer Reading​Required if vehicle is less than 10 years old.
​Inspector's Report​Report from License & Theft Bureau Inspector
​Requirements for Obtaining Title by Filing an Indemnity Bond (MVR-92A)​Requirements List
Indemnity Bond (MVR-92D)
Title Application (MVR-1)

All liens must be declared; notarization required
Affidavit of Facts to Accompany Indemnity Bond (MVR-92H)

NCDMV Vehicle Inspection

To apply for a vehicle title using a bond, an inspector with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicle's License & Theft Bureau must inspect the vehicle being titled.

A Title Application (MVR-1) and Affidavit of Facts (MVR-92H) are required at the time of inspection.

NCDMV will not issue a registration until the vehicle has been deemed operable and an operable title application has been submitted.  If the vehicle is not in operable condition at the time of the inspection, then an Inoperable Title will be issued.

Vehicle Appraisal

A vehicle appraisal is necessary to obtain a vehicle title using a bond.

The vehicle's value is determined from the current Value Schedule and can be obtained by visiting an NCDMV license plate agency or by calling the NCDMV Customer Contact Center at (919) 715-7000.

For mobile homes and vehicles not listed in the Value Schedule, two appraisals from different North Carolina dealers are required. The appraisals must be on the dealers' letterhead.

Acquire an Indemnity Bond

An indemnity bond can only be written by an insurance company licensed to write Surety Bonds in North Carolina. The bond must be for one and one-half times the value of the vehicle (with a minimum of $100).

The bond will remain on file with NCDMV for three years.

Bonds are not acceptable:
  • On abandoned vehicles
  • For mechanics and storage liens
  • If there is an outstanding lien and a cancellation cannot be issued
  • If litigation is pending
  • For vehicles not housed in North Carolina
  • For non-North Carolina residents when the vehicle is not registered in North Carolina
  • For vehicles branded parts-only, non-rebuildable or declared junked
  • For vehicles declared a total loss by an insurance company and never titled in the insurance company's name (G.S. 20-109.1)
  • For vehicles declared a total loss by an insurance company and sold without a title

Emissions Inspection

The vehicle must pass a state emissions inspection by an authorized inspection station before a license plate is issued.

Fees & Taxes 

A Certificate of Title fee and taxes must be paid on the vehicle. (View a list of current vehicle fees.)

9/15/2020 11:25 AM

Back to top