Online driver license renewal allows eligible customers to conveniently and quickly renew their driver license up to six months before their license expires or within two years of expiration.
Requirements & Restrictions
An individual who meets any of the following must visit an
NCDMV driver license office:
- Has a suspended license or outstanding debt with NCDMV
- Has a restriction other than "Corrective Lenses" on their driver license
- Needs to renew a commercial driver licenses, regular Class A or B driver license, full or limited provisional license, limited learner permit, learner permit or state ID
- Has a U.S. government document indicating legal presence
- Needs to change their address
Renewing in Person
An individual can also renew their driver license at an
N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office by
passing any required driver license tests. If renewing a license that has been lost or stolen, they must provide the following documents:
Renewal by Mail
A North Carolina resident may
renew by mail their standard driver license every other renewal cycle if they are temporarily living outside of the state for at least 30 continuous days or are
on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces and stationed outside North Carolina.
Commercial and full provisional licenses cannot be renewed by mail.
Licenses renewed by mail are temporary and expire 60 days after the individual returns to North Carolina or on the expiration date on the face of the license, whichever comes first.
Individuals must sign and date both a provided vision statement and a National Sex Offender Affidavit and not be older than 72 on the date of the request to renew by mail.
Additionally, they must have:
- A verifiable permanent North Carolina residence address
- A North Carolina Class C driver license that has been expired less than two years
- On file with NCDMV a photo that was issued within the last five years
- On file with NCDMV a Social Security number or a U.S. government-issued document indicating legal presence
Renewal Services for Military Personnel
The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles offers current and retired personnel of the U.S. Armed Forces
convenient options for renewing vehicle registrations and driver licenses.