The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles administers several tests when an individual applies for a license or learner permit – and in some cases, when they renew their license.
Applicants who do not pass the knowledge test or driving test for a regular Class C license may retake the test in seven calendar days.
Schedule an Office Appointment Online
Don’t want to stand in line? Appointments for in-office license and ID card services can be made online.
- Covers traffic laws and safe-driving practice
- Tests offered in different languages
- Oral tests available, upon request
- Covers regulatory and warning signs
- Applicant identifies signs by color and shape and provides an explanation of each
- Applicant must meet vision standards for driving in North Carolina
- License will indicate if corrective lenses are required
- Corrective lenses must be worn at all times while driving
- Penalty for driving without proper corrective lenses is same as driving without a license
- Assesses applicant's driving skills and ability to perform basic driving patterns
- Skills include:
- Approaching intersections, stop signs and traffic signals
- Quick stops
- Stopping, starting and parking
- Turn signals and using the horn
- Use of lanes
- Following another vehicle
- Passing and being passed
- Yielding right of way to pedestrians and vehicles
- Three-point turnabouts