Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All
Collapse All
  • Am I eligible for limited driving privileges?
    In some situations, a limited driving permit may be allowed during the suspension period. To determine if your suspension or revocation allows limited privileges based on statute, please review the limited driving privilege statute.
  • What is a "Failure to Appear" suspension? A "Failure to Pay" suspension?
    A "Failure to Appear" suspension occurs when a driver fails to appear in court and does not comply with a citation under G.S. 20-24.1. A "Failure to Pay" suspension occurs when a driver fails to pay fines for a citation under G.S. 20-24.2.
  • What do I do if I receive a letter from the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles for "Failure to Appear" or "Failure to Pay?"
    ​If you have failed to appear to court or failed to pay the court, the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles will suspend your driving privileges indefinitely until you have complied with the case.

    You will need to contact the court in the county that you received the citation or where you failed to pay your fines.

    Upon compliance, contact NCDMV to determine if you are eligible to reinstate your license.
  • What do I do if a substance abuse assessment is required?
    ​If your suspension/revocation requires a substance abuse assessment, visit the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services' website to find a provider in your area to perform the assessment and determine what classes are needed. Upon completion, the provider must submit a 508 Form to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

7/1/2019 5:37 PM

Back to top