Close Menu

Replacement & Duplicate License


License & ID Card Delays​

NCDMV is experiencing production delays with the outside private contractor that prints official license and ID cards. It is taking longer than the normal 15 days for customers to receive their credentials in the mail.

The temporary certificate received by customers at the end of their transaction is valid for 60 days. If customers do not receive their card prior to the expiration of this certificate, please call NCDMV Central Issuance at 919-861-3555 for assistance.

​Before You Begin

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles uses an online service, called PayIt, that allows you to take advantage of completing multiple services in one secure transaction.

PayIt collects a $3 fee per online transaction that it uses to deliver quality services more efficiently with no upfront costs to NCDMV. The State of North Carolina does not collect or benefit from the transaction fee. 

Check out some frequently asked questions​ for more information about PayIt and how to use the service.

Ready to Get a Replacement/Duplicate License or ID?

Individuals can order a replacement or duplicate driver license or ID card on​line or at an N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office if:

  • Their license has been lost or stolen​​​
  • Their license is damaged or unreadable
  • Their address has changed
  • Their name has changed (driver license office only)

Please Note: Customers must know their driver license or ID number to be able to order a replacement online.​ If you do not know the number, you must go to a driver license office to get a replacement.


​​​​​​​​​​​Make an Appointment

Skip the line at driver license offices by making an appointment online. If you do not find an available appointment, please continue to check back as new available appointments are added each day.

Requireme​​nts & Restrictions

To order a duplicate driver license or ID card online, an individual must have a valid license (with an "active" status) or valid ID as well as a photo on file with NCDMV that is no more than five years old.

An individual who meets any of the following conditions must visit an NCDMV driver license office:

  • Has a suspended license or outstanding debt with NCDMV
  • Is applying for a duplicate commercial driver license with a P or S endorsement
  • Has a U.S. government document indicating legal presence
  • Wants to get an N.C. REAL ID license

Name Cha​​nges

An individual has 60 days to notify ​NCDMV of name changes and to get a duplicate driver license reflecting their new name. Learn more about changing names with NCDMV.​

4/4/2024 3:21 PM

Back to top