Individuals can order a replacement or duplicate driver license or ID card online or at an N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office if:
- Their license has been lost or stolen
- Their license is damaged or unreadable
- Their address has changed
- Their name has changed (driver license office only)
Requirements & Restrictions
To order a duplicate driver license or ID card online, an individual must have a valid license (with an "active" status) or valid ID as well as a photo on file with NCDMV that is no more than five years old.
An individual who meets any of the following must visit an NCDMV driver license office:
- Has a suspended license or outstanding debt with NCDMV
- Applying for a duplicate commercial driver license with a P or S endorsement
- Has a U.S. government document indicating legal presence
- Wants to get an N.C. REAL ID license
An individual has 60 days to notify the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles of name changes after and to get a duplicate driver license reflecting their new name.
To request a duplicate license because of a name change, an individual must:
- Change their name with the Social Security Administration at least 24-36 hours before requesting a duplicate license or ID.
Visit an NCDMV driver license office
with a proof of the name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or document from the courts or Register of Deeds.