Before You Begin
The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles uses an online service, called PayIt, that allows you to take advantage of completing multiple services in one secure transaction.
PayIt collects a $3 fee per online transaction that it uses to deliver quality services more efficiently with no upfront costs to NCDMV. The State of North Carolina does not collect or benefit from the transaction fee.
Check out some
frequently asked questions for more information about PayIt and how to use the service.
Ready to Get a Replacement/Duplicate License or ID?
Individuals can order a replacement or duplicate driver license or ID card
online or at
an N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office if:
- Their license has been lost or stolen
- Their license is damaged or unreadable
- Their address has changed.
- Their name has changed (driver license office only)
Requirements & Restrictions
To order a duplicate driver license or ID card online, an individual must have a valid license (with an "active" status) or valid ID as well as a photo on file with NCDMV that is no more than five years old.
An individual who meets any of the following conditions must visit an NCDMV driver license office:
- Has a suspended license or outstanding debt with NCDMV
- Is applying for a duplicate commercial driver license with a P or S endorsement
- Has a U.S. government document indicating legal presence
- Wants to get an
N.C. REAL ID license
An individual has 60 days to notify NCDMV of name changes and to get a duplicate driver license reflecting their new name.
Learn more about changing names with NCDMV.