Close Menu

Driving Records

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​A driver's North Carolina driving record is a true representation of their driving history, as it appears in N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles records.

Driving records generally include:

  • Name and address
  • Driver license number, status (i.e., valid, expired, suspended, etc.) and expiration date
  • Motor vehicle-related convictions
  • Driver control actions (i.e., failure to yield, failure to give right of way, etc.)
  • Traffic wrecks information

The information is subject to change due to convictions, license suspensions, revocations or cancellations. Pending charges do not appear on a record.

Please note: A North Carolina motor vehicle record (MVR) is a driving record, vehicle record or crash report.  The manner in which MVR information may be released is regulated by the Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (or DPPA), 18 USC 2721-2725 and North Carolina G.S. 20-43.1. ​

An individual requesting their personal motor vehicle records in person must complete the appropriate forms and present a valid ID. An individual requesting a personal motor vehicle record on another’s behalf must also provide a written, signed, and notarized statement from the individual to whom the personal records belong, giving the requestor their permission to receive the records. 

​Types of Records

​Requesting Driving Records

North Carolina drivers can request records online, by mail or in person at the Vehicle Registration office​ at 4121 New Bern Ave.​, Raleigh​ or 12101 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road, Huntersville​​.

​​​Online Requests

Although a North Carolina driver license or ID is not necessary to order a driving record by mail, the license holder and the requestor (if different) must have a valid North Carolina driver license or ID card when ordering online.

Any entity may request the driving record of an individual for a valid reason under ​the Driver Privacy Protection Act.

Any out of the country certification documents must be obtained at the 4121 New Bern Ave. office in Raleigh in person or through the mail.

The following information about the license holder is required:

  • First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • North Carolina driver license or ID card number
  • Social Security number, Individual Taxpayer Identification number or U.S. Visa number

Certified driving records out of the country must have the raised seal and cannot be obtained online.

Before You Begin

The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles uses an online service, called PayIt, that allows you to take advantage of completing multiple services in one secure transaction. Up to 10 driving records can be requested in one online transaction.

PayIt collects a $3 fee per online transaction​ that it uses to deliver quality services more efficiently with no upfront costs to NCDMV. The State of North Carolina does not collect or benefit from the transaction fee. 

Check out some frequently asked questions​ for more information about PayIt and how to use the service.​

Please Note: A PDF viewer is needed if ordering a certified or non-certified record from a mobile device.​​

Order Driving Record​

​Ordering by Mail

To order a driver record by mail, fill out the appropriate forms below and mail them along with payment to the address listed on the form. The $3 fee is not required for mail-in requests. 

Please allow 10 business days from the time of receipt for the request to be processed.

To avoid delay or return of your request, ensure that forms are completely and correctly filled out and that your check or money order, made payable to NCDMV is signed.

Ordering in Person

To request a driving record in person, deliver the forms and payment to:

Raleigh Central Services/License Plate Agency

4121 New Bern Ave. (Go to the door that reads Vehicle Registration, NOT Driver License)
Raleigh, NC 27616​

Huntersville License Plate Agency​
12101 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road
Huntersville, NC 28078​

​Customers or businesses requesting five records or less in person can receive them immediately, but larger requests will need to be mailed in to the DMV.


Affidavit for Name Change (DL-101)​Affidavit for name change form
​Official Driver Record Request Form (DL-DPPA-1)​Required for all driving record requests
Official Driver Record Request Form Continuation Sheet (DL-DPPA-1A)
Required if requesting more than five driver records
​Release of Driver Record (DL-DPPA-2) - English​ Required authorization if releasing a personal record to a third party​​

Learn More

6/12/2023 12:04 PM

Back to top