Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces – as well as their family members – may renew their North Carolina driver license before being deployed using the military designation.
Note: Renewing a North Carolina driver license or ID card will cancel any licenses or ID cards from other states through the State-to-State Verification program.
A driver license with a military designation that has been issued to active-duty military personnel may be renewed up to one year prior to the license's expiration date. Military or Department of Defense documents must be provided.
Military personnel, their spouses and dependents who are temporarily residing out-of-state may
renew their standard license by mail no more than two times during the license holder's lifetime. A license renewed under these circumstances is a permanent license and does not expire when the license holder returns to North Carolina.
The renewal application can be mailed to:
3176 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3176
A driver license applicant must meet the following requirements:
- They have military orders placing them on active duty outside North Carolina
- Their Class C North Carolina driver license has not expired or has been expired less than two years and a day
- They have on file with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles a photo that was issued within the last eight years
- They have on file with NCDMV a Social Security number or a U.S. government-issued document indicating legal presence
- They have a permanent verifiable residential address or address of a host family in North Carolina
Individuals must sign and date both a provided vision statement and a National Sex Offender Affidavit and not be older than 72 on the date of the request to renew by mail.
Schedule an Office Appointment Online
Don’t want to stand in line? Appointments for in-office license and ID card services can be made online.
A driver license with a military designation may be renewed no more than two times during the license holder’s lifetime.
A dependent holding a full provisional driver license can upgrade to a Class C driver license if their license has been expired for less than a year and they are 18 years old. They will need to meet the issuance requirements and complete the application.