Members of the U.S. Armed Forces or a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces – as well as their family members – may renew their North Carolina driver license in a driver license office before being deployed using the military designation.
Note: Renewing a North Carolina driver license or ID card will cancel any licenses or ID cards from other states through the State-to-State Verification program.
A driver license with a military designation that has been issued to active-duty military personnel may be renewed up to one year prior to the license's expiration date in a driver license office. Military or Department of Defense documents must be provided.
Military spouses and dependents who are temporarily residing out-of-state may renew their standard license by mail
no more than once by mail in their lifetime. A license renewed under these conditions will expire 60 days after the license holder returns to North Carolina.
The original renewal application with check or money order can be mailed to:
3176 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3176
A driver license applicant must meet the following requirements:
- They have military orders placing them on active duty outside North Carolina
- Their Class C North Carolina driver license has not expired or has been expired less than two years and a day
- They have on file with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles a photo that was issued within the last eight years
- They have on file with NCDMV a Social Security number or a U.S. government-issued document indicating legal presence
- They have a permanent verifiable residential address or address of a host family in North Carolina
Individuals must provide a copy of a valid military id (front and back), sign and date both a provided vision statement and a National Sex Offender Affidavit to renew by mail.
Schedule an Office Appointment Online
Don’t want to stand in line? Appointments for in-office license and ID card services can be made online.
A driver license with a military designation may be renewed no more than two times by mail during the license holder’s lifetime.
A dependent holding a full provisional driver license can upgrade to a Class C driver license if their license has been expired for less than a year and they are 18 years old. They will need to meet the issuance requirements and complete the application.