|Certificate of Title||$52|||
|Highway-use tax||3% of vehicle value (not to exceed $250 for new residents moving to North Carolina)||North Carolina collects a
highway-use tax on vehicles instead of a state sales tax. The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred.|
|Mobile home tax||2% sales tax ($300 maximum)|
- Mobile homes sold by a dealer are not subject to the highway-use tax.
- Doublewide Mobile Homes require a sales tax on each section.
- If the mobile home is purchased from an individual or someone other than a dealer, no tax is due.
|Duplicate title with reassignment||$72|||
|Corrected or substitute Certificate of Title||$20|||
|Duplicate Certificate of Title||$20|||
|Duplicate Certificate of Title & Removal of Lien(s) or Duplicate Certificate of Title with Correction||$20|||
|Commerical plates||$20||Duplicate Certificate of Title|
|IRP plates||$20||Duplicate Certificate of Title and Removal of Lien(s) or Duplicate Certificate of Title with Correction|
|Instant title||$98||Expedited titling service|
Registration fees vary depending on the type of vehicle being plated.
|$36||Private passenger vehicle|
|$36||Private truck under 4,000 pounds|
|$56.50||Private truck under 5,000 pounds|
|$67||Private truck under 6,000 pounds|
|$25||Trailer or semi-trailer|
|$14||House trailer and/or camping trailer|
|$40||Private bus (16 passengers or more)|
|$20||License plate transfer|
|$5 each||Disability placard|
|$130 (in addition to vehicle registration fee)||Electric vehicles*|
*Other fees may apply.
Regional Fees & Taxes
In addition to registration fees, Durham, Orange, Randolph and Wake counties – also charge taxes and regional registration taxes on:
- Private passenger vehicles
- Private motorcycles
- U-Drive It passenger vehicles
- Limousine vehicles
- Common carriers
- Contract carriers
- Exempt for-hire passenger carrier vehicles
- Property-hauling (farm) vehicles
- Manufacturer and motor vehicle dealers