|Certificate of Title
|Vehicle tax||NC collects a highway-use tax on vehicles instead of a state sales tax. The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred. ||3% highway-use tax|
|Mobile home tax|
- Mobile homes sold by a dealer are not subject to the highway-use tax.
- Doublewide Mobile Homes require a sales tax on each section.
- If the mobile home is purchased from an individual or someone other than a dealer, no tax is due.
|2% sales tax ($300 maximum)|
|Duplicate title with reassignment||||$72|
|Corrected or substitute Certificate of Title||||$20|
|Duplicate Certificate of Title||||$20|
|Duplicate Certificate of Title & Removal of Lien(s) or Duplicate Certificate of Title with Correction||||$20|
|Commercial plates||Duplicate Certificate of Title||$20|
|IRP plates||Duplicate Certificate of Title and Removal of Lien(s) or Duplicate Certificate of Title with Correction||$20|
|Late penalty fee||Owner is subjected if a buyer or recipient fails to submit a request for title transfer within 28 days from the date of delivery or notary date (whichever is later)||$20|
License Plate Fees
Registration fees vary depending on the type of vehicle being plated.
|Private passenger vehicle||$36|
|Private truck under 4,000 pounds||$36|
|Private truck under 5,000 pounds||$56.50|
|Private truck under 6,000 pounds||$67|
|Trailer or semi-trailer||$25|
|House trailer and/or camping trailer||$14|
|Private bus (16 passengers or more)||$40|
|License plate transfer||$20|
|Disability placards||$5 each|
|Electric vehicles||$130 in addition to vehicle registration fee*|
*Other fees may apply.
Regional Fees & Taxes
In addition to registration fees, Durham, Orange, Randolph and Wake counties – also charge taxes and regional registration taxes on:
- Private passenger vehicles
- Private motorcycles
- U-Drive It passenger vehicles
- Limousine vehicles
- Common carriers
- Contract carriers
- Exempt for-hire passenger carrier vehicles
- Property-hauling (farm) vehicles
- Manufacturer and motor vehicle dealers