Close Menu

Title Requirements

​​General Requirements

  • The individual who is titling the vehicle must have a valid North Carolina driver license or ID. Some exceptions for non-N.C. residents apply, please see the "New & Non-N.C. Resident" section below. For new North Carolina residents, a valid out-of-state driver license and their North Carolina Temporary Driving Certificate are required.
  • For vehicles owned by more than one individual, all signatures on required documents must be notarized and accompanied by a black-and-white copy of the alternate owner's valid driver license or ID.
  • Alternatively, a Power of Attorney can sign for the co-owner(s). If paperwork is being signed by a Power of Attorney, a black-and-white copy of the owner’s valid driver license is required when paperwork is submitted.
  • If mailing in the paperwork, the individual titling the vehicle must provide with their title information a black-and-white copy of their valid North Carolina driver license.
  • Property taxes for the vehicle being registered must be paid.

Special Requirements

Additional requirements may apply to other types of vehicles (e.g., antiques, replicas, mobile homes, mopeds, motorcycles and trailers) as well as special cases such as leased, salvaged and abandoned vehicles as well as when an owner does not have proof of ownership or the vehicle is in a trust.

New & Non-N.C. Residents

Residents who are new to North Carolina or non-residents who have recently acquired a vehicle, must get the vehicle titled in North Carolina before registering it.

In addition to a driver license, non-North Carolina residents must provide one of the following:

  • A military ID (for active-duty military personnel stationed in North Carolina)
  • A student ID (showing enrollment in a North Carolina college or university)
  • A Form MVR-614 documenting that the vehicle is garaged in North Carolina for at least six months each year
  • A court-ordered sale of the vehicle
  • Registration for a motor home

Proof of Liability Insurance

North Carolina law requires continuous liability insurance (provided by a North Carolina-licensed provider) on all vehicles titled and registered in North Carolina. It is required prior to titling a vehicle.

7/31/2023 4:06 PM

Back to top