Close Menu

Title Documents & Forms

​​​The documentation and forms required for titling a vehicle are based on the situation involving the vehicle, as described in the table below.

Additional requirements may apply to other types of vehicles (e.g., antiques, replicas, mobile homes, mopeds, motorcycles and trailers) as well as special cases such as leased, salvaged and abandoned vehicles as well as when an owner does not have proof of ownership or the vehicle is in a trust.

Forms must be filled out, and if being processed at a N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles office, be accompanied by a valid North Carolina driver license, temporary North Carolina Driving Certificate or out-of-state driver license.

If there are co-owners to be recorded on a title, all signatures on required documents must be notarized and accompanied by a black-and-white copy of the alternate owner’s valid driver license/ID or a Power of Attorney’s signature.

​Situation​Required Documents
​Vehicle purchased from an individual or donated or gifted
​Vehicle purchased from a dealer
​Vehicle titled in registered owner’s name

Vehicle is being titled in the registered owner's name and the owner has the title
Out-of-state vehicles with a lien

Title is held by a recorded lienholder​
​Mobile homes
​Modified Utility Vehicles (MVU)

1 Notarization is required.
2 Required if vehicle is less than 10 years old.

Other Documents & Forms

For information on when or how to use the documents and forms below, contact the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

3/31/2023 10:10 AM

Back to top