Close Menu

Moving Within N.C.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​Within 60 days of moving within North Carolina, a license and ID holder must update their physical address with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles and get a duplicate license or ID as well as a duplicate vehicle registration card.

Updating License & ID

In many cases, an individual can update the address associated with their valid driver license or ID via​​ online​​ or by visiting a self-service kiosk​ and​​ ordering a duplicate card​. Users can also visit an N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles driver license office to order a duplicate license.

Updating Vehicle Registration

Address updates for valid vehicle registrations are completed when individuals update their driver license information online, as it is used to verify vehicle registration.

To order a duplicate vehicle registration card online, the following information is needed:

  • The vehicle’s license plate number
  • The last five characters of the vehicle title number, which can be found on the registration card​

Address updates can also be made at a local license plate agency, by calling (919) 715-7000, or mailing an Application for Duplicate Registration Certificate (MVR-10) along with the fee to:

N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles
Renewal, Title & Plate Unit
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27697-3148


Learn More

3/13/2024 12:21 PM

Back to top