Close Menu

Abandoned Vehicles & Mechanic's Lien

​​​​​​​​​Filing an Abandoned Vehicle Lien

For vehicles that have been unclaimed on a landowner’s property for 30 days, an unclaimed notice (LT-260 form) must be filed with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles​. Once the unclaimed notice has been processed (typically 30 days), an LT-262 form can be filed to declare intent to sell the vehicle.

LT-260 and LT-262 forms can be electronically filed on Connect NCDOT, the N.C. Department of Transportation's resource site for business, professional and working partners. 

Completing & Paying for LT-262

When completing the LT-262 electronically, you can also pay the $13 fee per vehicle for processing. NCDMV uses PayIt for this online service. PayIt collects a $3 fee per online transaction that it uses to deliver quality services more efficiently with no upfront costs to NCDMV. The State of North Carolina does not collect or benefit from the transaction fee.

As a savings, you can submit up to 10 vehicles per transaction.​

Go to Connect ​​​​​

Filing a Mechanic’s Lien

In accordance with North Carolina General Statute §20-77, a mechanic’s lien should be filed with NCDMV on a vehicle that has been left unclaimed for 10 days at businesses used for garaging, repairing or storing vehicles. 

To file a mechanic’s lien, please visit Connect NCDOT.

Go to Connect ​​​​​

4/7/2022 10:20 AM

Back to top