Part of the N.C. Department of Transportation's
Education Initiatives Program
, the School to Career Pathways Initiative aims to attract students to science, technology, engineering and math (also referred to as STEM) fields early in their educations and provides them opportunities that will reinforce concepts related to transportation and engineering.
The initiative better aligns NCDOT's vision to move more students effectively through project-based learning to meet the workforce demands of the 21st century.
- STEM-focused programs and activities modeled by NCDOT staff in the classroom
- Partnering NCDOT engineers as mentors with students for in-school and after-school activities
- Collaborating with schools to provide job-shadowing opportunities from rural to urban communities
- Multidisciplinary internships with real-world, hands-on experiences
- Partnering NCDOT engineers as mentors with student organizations, lecture classes and similar opportunities
- Professional development opportunities through NCDOT and partnerships with universities and community colleges
- Training program opportunities with a focus on STEM-related fields, specifically engineering