As one of the largest employers in North Carolina, the N.C. Department of Transportation is always looking for talented and motivated individuals to join the team. If you are interested in a career in transportation, NCDOT encourages you to consider the Transportation Apprenticeship Program, or TAP+.
NCDOT’s TAP+ is a great way to gain the skills and experience needed to succeed in careers in transportation engineering and construction. Apprentices will work alongside experienced professionals and learn industry-leading techniques and technologies. They will also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of projects and in areas as diverse as design, construction, repair, bridge work, erosion control, maintenance, aviation, maritime, rail and integrated mobility.
In addition to on-the-job training, TAP+ apprentices also participate in classroom instruction. This instruction covers a variety of topics, including safety, construction methods and materials.
Benefits of TAP+ Apprenticeship Program
- Earn a competitive wage with benefits while you learn
- Gain valuable hands-on experience and skills
- Network with experienced professionals
- Participate in a variety of projects
- Receive classroom instruction
- Job security; upon completion launch your career with NCDOT
- G.I. Bill benefits to qualifying military veterans
- Earn a tuition-free associate’s degree from a N.C. community college for qualifying high school seniors.
- High school/GED diploma
- Interest in a transportation construction and engineering career
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong work ethic and commitment to safety
How to Apply
To apply for the NCDOT TAP+ Apprenticeship Program, visit the
N.C. Office of State Human Resources website.
View Current Openings