The N.C. Department of Transportation’s Business Opportunity and Workforce Development (BOWD) unit provides supportive services to certified Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) firms through training, education, one-on-one technical assistance, and other services.
The BOWD unit utilizes supportive services funds received from the Federal Highway Administration to provide free or cost-effective services individually or in conjunction with other partner organizations, state agencies and businesses.
A primary purpose of the supportive services effort is to increase the number of businesses that have a work specialty related to the highway construction industry participating in the Federal-aid Highway Program
in accordance with 49 CFR Part 23, and contribute to the growth and eventual self-sufficiency of participating firms.
Programs and services offered by the BOWD unit include:
- Newly Certified Orientation
- Business Development Program
- Construction Management Diploma Program (collaboration with North Carolina State University)
- Local Technical Assistance Program (collaboration with NC State-Institute for Transportation Research and Education)
- Community Engagement Series
- One-on-One Supportive Services