skip to main
Close Menu

Contact Us


How Can We Help?

Expand All
Collapse All
  • I need an ID. What do I need to do?

    If this is your first ID, you’ll need to ​make an appointment. For your appointment, you’ll need to bring a fee of $14 and the following: ​

    No-fee IDs are available to some customers. Learn more about state IDs.  

    If you need to replace a lost or stolen ID that has not expired, most customers can do that on​line.

    If you need to renew an ID that has not expired, this can be done online.

    If your ID has expired,  you need to make an appointment​ and go to a driver license office.

  • Why haven’t I received my title, registration, or new plate?

    ​Due to the impact of COVID-19, processing and mail delivery may take longer than normal.​

  • Why doesn’t my title and plate numbers match?

    ​You may have recently completed a new title transaction, such as satisfying a lien on the vehicle. Due to this, you would have received a title with a new title number. Please try using the new title number. If you are still receiving an error message, you will need to visit a local license plate agency, or contact the NCDMV by filling out the form below or calling 919-715-7000.​​

    ​If you have recently purchased a vehicle and transferred your license plate to the new vehicle and you are getting an error message when trying to renew online, you will need to visit a local license plate agency​, or contact NCDMV by filling out the form below or calling 919-715-7000.

  • How do I replace a lost or stolen license or ID?

    ​You can order a replacement or duplicate license or ID if:​​

    • Your license or ID has been lost or stolen
    • Your license or ID is damaged or unreadable
    • Your address has changed.
    • Your name has changed (this can only be done in a driver license office only)

    Individuals can order a replacement or duplicate driver license or ID card on​line or visit a driver license office after making an appointment​ first.​​

  • How do I change my name on a License or ID?

    An individual whose name changes from the name stated on a driver license or ID must notify the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles within 60 days after the change occurs and obtain a duplicate card with the new name.

    Name changes must be completed at an NCDMV driver license office and you will need to make an appointment for this service​. Please be sure to bring a fee of $14 and the following with you: ​

    • A certified marriage certificate issued by a government agency
    • Documented proof from the courts or the Register of Deeds establishing that the name change was officially accomplished
    • Execution of a notarized DL-101 (obtained from an DMV office)
    ​All documentation must be provided by the appropriate government agency of the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. territories or Canada.
    Learn more on about this process on the NCDMV Name Changes​ page.​

Didn't see your question? Send us a message.

5/2/2024 9:07 AM